Tuesday, November 2, 2010

more surgery part two

The night I found out all this information I was running some errands with Emily. Gene called my cell phone and she heard me talking to him explaining what the doctor said. When I got off  the phone, she asked me if I was having surgery again. I said yes. We arrived home shortly after this conversation. I finished explaining all the news to Gene and asked Emily to go upstairs and get ready for bed. When she came back down she sat in my lap and I could tell something was wrong with her. As soon as I asked her what is wrong, she started crying. I realized she was upset about me having surgery. The first thing I said to her was assuring her that I don't have cancer and made sure she understood. I continued to explain that I need to fix my breast. She didn't understand so I turned to Gene and asked him how do I explain this. At  this time AJ was walking down stairs so we included him with this conversation. We want to be upfront with the kids so I explained the truth  how I had to remove my breast from cancer and I don't have real boobs. I explained I have implants that make me look like I have real boobs and one of them needs to be repaired. I explained this is a subject that was discussed with-in our family and not a topic they need to talk with their friends. I explained I would be home the same day either before they get home from school or around dinner time. Emily was okay but she was sad she won't be able to sit on my lap for awhile. They didn't have any questions. Yes, I did get tears in my eyes while I spoke with my kids. I am sensitive and felt how scared the kids were. I have been through alot as well as my family.

The next day, I started thinking if I should change my implants. The other type of implants are suppose to a softer feeling and the majority of people use them. I spoke with my plastic surgeon's assistant and she gave me the name of the silicone implant she uses. I was able to do some research about this type. I e-mailed my plastic surgeon and she thought I would be pleased with the silicone implants. She said the surgery wouldn't be much longer to switch the other side as well. I have decided to change both of my implants. I currently have saline and will change both breast to silicone. I am staying the same size for my breast so my skin will not need any other surgery. I will follow up with her in regards to questions about the tissue on my left side breast that isn't damage before my surgery.

As far as recovery, it will be less to worry about than the initial surgery. I will not have any drainage tubes, yea!!!! The cavity under my breast skin is already there, she just cuts near the existing scar on each side of my breasts removes the implants and inserts the new implants. She will have to remove tissue from my stomach and insert into the breast. I will have dissolvable stitches on the side of my breast and maybe underneath the front. I will be black/blue from the liposuction on my stomach with a small suture. I will have gauze covering the breast area for the first week. The recovery shouldn't be too long.
I scheduled my surgery for December 3, 2010. I don't know the time until that week. If there our patients that need to have a mastectomy or lumpectomy they will be scheduled before me. I wont be any later than 1:00 in the afternoon. I hope the sooner the better. I need to have some pre-op blood work done before my surgery.

November 3, 2010 I have my five month follow up appointment to see my oncologist.

November 18, 2010 I will see my plastic surgeon for any questions/concerns before my surgery.

My team: Bossom Buddies walked for the American Cancer Society on October 24, 2010. We had a great turnout. I have updated my blog site with some pictures from the walk. It was a colder day than last year's walk. October is a special month for me. This is the month I found out I had breast cancer. I also get to celebrate my birthday this month and remember how lucky I am alive. I will continue to participate in the breast cancer walk each year in October as well.

2 comments:

Monica Bouvier said...

Monica,
You continue to be an inspiration and am looking forward to hearing about your full recovery.
Terri

Kelly M. Mackura said...

Our thoughts will be with you and your family as you undergo the repair. So glad it is to fix an implant and NOT CANCER!!! YEA!!! It is amazing how strong children can be. Your open and honest communication is such wonderful modeling for them. Happy Fall!
love, Kelly and family