Radiation was okay this week, no problems. There is a slight color change in my skin appearance almost like a slight tan.
I wasn't aware that the department was closed for Good Friday so I only went four days this week. I've had 13 treatments, 15 more to go!
My kids are off from school next week so the radiation technician is working with me and letting me change my schedule on several of the days so I don't have to get the kids up to early. Next week I will be going M-F.
I spoke with the genetic counselor from New York and she was able to get additional information about my genetic findings. Through a scientific program which they can't guarantee the accuracy of the findings shows that my BRAC2 is in a category that is harmful. It is difficult to explain the situation but this is what I understand. The gene can be harmless or harmful. When it is harmful like mine is, there is a higher chance that the breast cancer gene can travel to the other breast. In my case, I decided to remove both of the breast so this confirms I made one of the best decisions in my life. As far as other risk that I have to be aware of are the following: chance for ovarian cancer which the gene is linked to breast/ovarian so I will be following up with my OBGYN after radiation is completed, 5% chance for melanoma so I need to be extra caution in the sun, wear sunscreen/ hats and see a Dermatologist once a year for a body scan for unusual moles, and I have a 5% chance for pancreas cancer, which I will speak with my Oncologist about for a possible blood test since there is no pre-caution screening for this one.
She also mentioned to me that the doctor I saw in NY helped discovered the BRAC2 and is involved with all kinds of research. Myriad Genetic Laboratories in Utah where the the testing is patent will continue to compare my gene pattern, history, and age to other families and will inform me of any findings that they may discover in the future. The company compares all of the criteria and reviews other families that may have the same situation that is happening in their DNA. At this time, there are no other families like mine, they don't count my mom since she is art of my direct family. Let's pray in the future that they can help cure or minimize cancer!
No comments:
Post a Comment