Saturday, March 6, 2010

Oncologist update

Wednesday March 3, 2010 I went for my six month follow up appointment with my Oncologist. During this visit we reviewed how I was feeling, reviewed my medical records, and answered questions that I had. I am doing great on the Tamoxifen besides time to time hot flashes. I am lucky not to have any side effects. I will remain on the medication for the next three years or until I go into menopause (might or might not happen). If this happens, then I will remain on medication for the next two years but on a different prescription and will have to get shots twice a year for bone density. We will cross that path when it is here. I decided to schedule an appointment for an ultrasound for my ovaries twice a year instead of once a year. I had no symptoms from my breast cancer and thank god the mammogram found it. I feel twice a year plus seeing my OBGYN once a year will be good medical follow up. The doctor has attended medical conferences and the outcome from Tamoxifen has shown great progress/outcomes to stop the cancer cells from re- occurring or building new cells for breast and ovarian cancer. He also has heard if the women is under 40 and you are not having any problems with your ovaries then they shouldn't be removed. A women needs estrogen for certain criteria  in her body and we have them for a reason. My Oncologist and I felt that I don't need to see the radiation doctor in May for my one year check up. I don't have any skin irritation and I will be seeing my cancer specialist around the same time. He explained the doctors try to accommodate the patient as much as possible for all the check ups including paying co-pays each time for the visits.The genetic testing that I had done at the beginning of my treatment indicated that my results for the gene for breast cancer was inclusive. He explained the company from time to time might get results from a similar family situation and then they will update me with any new findings. He feels that we discovered the cancer in time and I have a great outcome that the cancer is gone with the removal of the breast, radiation, and an extra precaution by being on the Tamoxifen.
We decided to get an update on my blood work since its been six months from the last results. He explained that he likes to monitor the blood work but the medical association states its not necessary to follow up in cases like mine as often. I agreed to get the blood work done because I rather know if there are some concerns and get some medical help if needed before its too late. He explained that the blood work can give positiver/false readings which make some individuals upset. If this happens possibility a MRI, CAT scan or some other medical test probably will need to be performed. The blood work was to test my cbc count, comprehensive metabolic panel (13 different chemistry test), markers for breast cancer CA-127&129, markers for ovarian cancer CA-125, and my vitamin D level. He examined my lymph nodes in my throat and under my arm pits. He also performed an external exam and pushed around my ovaries for any abnormalities. I will see him in six months.


Friday March 5, 2010 I went and had my blood drawn. I should get my results by next week. Three and half vials were taken.

No comments: