Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Oncologist appointment

Friday July 2, 2010 I had an appointment with my Oncologist to review my Endocrine treatment after my hysterectomy. He didn't know the results from my surgery so he was glad to hear that there was NO CANCER. I explained that I had endometriosis. He is 100% certain now that we know I don't have cancer that the endometriosis is why my blood test for CA-125 was increasing in my numbers. He explained to me that endometriosis can travel in the body behind my ribs, liver or other places within the body. We hope this doesn't happened but will continue to monitor me. He mentioned if I had blood work taken right now that my numbers for CA-125 would be high from the surgery. He has seen the results high in the 100's with people immediately after surgery. When the body produces estrogen is when endometriosis is seen. Since I will not be producing estrogen, I hope I will not have any more endometriosis.
He wants me to wait at least six weeks after my surgery before I have my blood withdrawn. He said if my number for CA-125 is low that is great and if its high we will monitor it and make sure it isn't cause by the endometriosis traveling. Endometriosis is caused by bleeding of the lining and said I would feel alot of pain if it does occur by my ribs and liver. I have been through enough surgeries. Let's pray I am all done with any more scares!
My blood work will check CA-125- marker for ovarian cancer or in my case endometriosis, CA-127 & CA-129 for breast cancer, we check this every time to verify no cancer cells remain, complete blood comprehension for my blood levels, vitamin D level, and going to get my cholesterol tested since this hasn't been done for a few years. I will have to fast-not eat before getting my blood work.

I will have a Dexa-bone scan performed to measure the density in my bones. A Dexa scan will help determine if you are at an increased risk of osteoporosis. He wants me to have this test done by the end of the summer. He already gave me the paperwork. The results should be good since I am still young. I will have this test performed every 2 years unless there is a problem. I will need to make sure I get my calcium.

We reviewed my medications. I will remain on Tamoxifen. I had no side effects and we would like for this to remain. This medication is nonsteroidal estrogen and does help my bones. The other medication for breast cancer is Arimidex and is for post partum women who had more aggressive cancer. He explained there was a study performed with 5,000 women who had breast cancer as well as their ovaries removed in which half of the women took Tamoxifen and the other half took Arimidex and there was no difference in the final outcome.
I will continue to take my multi-vitamin, vitamin C, vitamin D which I need to make sure I get 1000 IU a day, and I will need to increase my Calcium. I need to take 600-800 mg twice a day. The body can't absorb the Calcium all at once so that's why I have to take one in the morning and one at night. (I have to remember) He believes I will not have any more side effects and doesn't want  me to take Estrogen. I agree with him. He mentioned if I experience vaginal dryness that he can prescribe an estrogen cream. If I do have to use the cream, I will have to make sure I get my blood withdrawn a few weeks after I use it to verify I am not getting too much estrogen.

I will see my Oncologist every four months for the first two years then every six months for the next three years.

I will continue to post information in my blog. Take Care and stay cool :>

No comments: