Monday, September 13, 2010

Dexa Examine

On Tuesday September 7, 2010 I had a Dexa Exam (bone density test). I wasn't sure what to expect since this was my first exam. I was told the test was compared to a x-ray and I was able to drive myself to the appointment. I did remove my earrings and didn't wear any jewelry since I wasn't sure how particular the test would be involved. I was surprised when I checked in that I didn't have to fill out any paperwork. (maybe they felt my information was updated since this was the same facility I recently had my MRI's).

I had to wait about five minutes then was called in. The nurse had me put on a gown. We went into an individual exam room and I laid down on the table. She had me turn my left ankle inwards and then strapped the ankle into a velcro strap. She entered some information into the computer asked my weight, height and explained the procedure would take about 10 minutes. The table might slightly shake from the machine moving. She also verified that I haven't had any back or hip surgery. The machine looked like a L shape that scanned my lower body for the first scan.  I had to bend my knees and put my feet up on a block for the second scan which went higher up on my body. The machine was above me and never touched me. The test was over and she said a technician will read the x-ray in the next 24 hours and my doctor will follow up with me.

Wow, I was so amazed how fast and easy the exam went. I guess I was surprised because other examines were so uncomfortable that this exam was a breeze! I thought I would explain my experience for those of you who haven't experience this test.
On Friday September 10, 2010 I received the following text from my Oncologist and he said" Hi Monica, your bone density test was NORMAL! Congrads and keep up the calcium/vit D  Best, his name"
That was great news! I had an appointment to see him on September 15 so I text-ed him back that I am feeling great and since he has given me the results do I still need to see him in the office in a few days?  He said " I can reschedule my appointment".

September 13, 2010 I called the office and rescheduled. My next appointment is on November 3. My OBYGN office also called today to inform me the results of my Dexa exam. I received a copy of the Dexa exam and my last blood work today via fax.
I am feeling great and I hope this long journey is over for cancer!!! I will continue to be monitored by all my doctors for the next five years. Yes, I still have night sweats every night. I guess this is the worst part!

I will be walking on October 24, 2010 for Breast Cancer sponsored by The American Cancer Society.  Please donate for my walk:
http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR?px=11611219&pg=personal&fr_id=28154&fl=en_US&et=6OyRWCQMrHgtgZzDoIwEHA..&s_tafId=542293

Take Care and I will update my blog after my walk  SMILE :> it makes you feel better even if its only for a minute!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So glad you're doing so well, Monica!