Last Friday March 16 , 2012 I couldn't believe what was happening. In the morning, I went to the gym and then grocery shopping so I didn't get in the shower until after lunch. As I was in the shower, I felt a lump in my right breast. I was shocked! I checked it several times and I couldn't believe this was happening to me. The lump was on my right breast about 2" from my nipple which is the side I had all the trouble with from the beginning. It felt like a size of a pea and was hard. I quickly finished the shower and started to freak out. The first person I called was my plastic surgeon. The receptionist informed me she is on vacation but I can speak with another doctor if I wanted. No, I wanted my doctors! All I was thinking about is seeing a doctor because I couldn't go through the weekend knowing about this lump. I then called my cancer surgeon and the office was out to lunch. It was 12:45 PM and the answering service said "the office will be back at 1:30 PM". I then called my husband and I was upset and crying telling him he needs to come home. He tried to calm me down and he suggested to call my Oncologist and see if they have received my blood work back. It was good I did my routine blood work the day prior.
Unfortunately, we have heard some bad news with people dealing with cancer so I am sure that even scared me more. The entire situation was ironic. The same week I was changing my blogs background, updated my blog and even mentioned that everything was low key. I had a friend reply via e-mail to my last blog entry and said" I love how you say "low key". ha! ha!". How can this be happening in my mind. I called my Oncologist and he was in a meeting. I spoke with a women in his office about my blood work but she wasn't helpful.
Wow all three of my doctors weren't available. In the mean time the phone rang and it was my mom. I didn't call her earlier because she was at the doctors and I know she wasn't feeling well. She was shock to hear about my news. At 1:30 I called my cancer surgeon back after their lunch (only 45 minutes but seemed like hours)! When I called the office, I received their answering machine saying they are busy and to leave a message. Wow, can I run into any more obstacles!!! I called right back and left a message for the nurse to call me asap. I couldn't wait, I was very worked up at this point so I called the office back again and spoke with receptionist who I know. Unfortunately the words she said threw a wrench into me again " the doctor wasn't in the office today, she's at the hospital doing surgeries". The receptionist was going to see if they can get a hold of my doctor at the hospital. Not even 15 minutes later the nurse called me back and said she was able to get me an appointment to have an ultra-sound at 2:30 PM. The time on any other day wouldn't of mattered but my kids had a half day of school today. My son just arrived at home when the nurse called me back and I was trying not to tell him what was happening. I called my husband at his work and he came home right away. We are lucky that he works close to home. Now my daughter was getting off the bus so I went to pick her up and then my husband was home. I jumped into the car and told my kids I had to go somewhere. They were questioning where since their dad was home in the middle of the day and I rushed out. I didn't want to scare them until I knew more information. My mom offered to drive with me to my ultra-sound but I just wanted to leave and get this test performed.
As I was driving there, I realized I haven't been to this office (Advanced Radiology for Women's Health Care) since my 2nd mammogram when I found out about my cancer. They took me inside right away. After I changed, I had to wait for about 5 minutes. I was thinking about how wonderful the nurses were in helping me to get this process started. I first called the doctors at 12:45 PM and now its 2:45 PM and I am sitting in the doctors office. That's real impressive 2 hours later! The technician performed the ultra sound. She was asking me if I fell, a dog jumped on me or a traumatic event happened. The answers were no. After she was done, she told me to relax and she was going to go get the doctor. I was nervous at this point. The doctor performed the test again. She explained the lump was above my implant but below my skin. She asked me several questions including when I had my last surgery. She explained and showed me what she was looking at on the screen. The wonderful news she explained there was no blood flowing through it and it was a bright color. These were signs that it wasn't a tumor. She was not sure thou what exactly it was. She thought it was a fat substance but referred me to follow up with my cancer surgeon on Monday. I was relieved but also wondered how this developed. I left feeling much better going into the weekend. I called my husband and gave him the news. He was out with the kids at the store and I met them back home. I tried not to think about it through-out the weekend. I didn't get much sleep. I was restless and I think my subconscious mind was racing. My kids asked my husband where I went and he told them but left it generic. They didn't asked any other questions through out the weekend.
On Monday I had a 10:15 appointment with my cancer doctor.
This is getting long and I will continue the details about my Monday appointment in another blog. WOW life brings many changes instantly!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment