Wednesday, February 4, 2009

doctor visit

My husband and I went to Yale yesterday and met with the Oncologist. The meeting was informative and she reviewed my entire medical history. She felt maybe no radiation and going on Tamoxifen for 5 years which will decrease my cancer reacquiring and might cure the cancer in my margin.
(Tamoxifen is a drug, taken orally as a tablet, which interferes with the activity of estrogen, a female hormone. Estrogen can promote the development of cancer in the breast. Estrogen can promote the growth of breast cancer cells. Some breast cancers are classified as estrogen receptor-positive (also known as hormone sensitive), which means that they have a protein to which estrogen will bind. These breast cancer cells need estrogen to grow. Tamoxifen works against the effects of estrogen on these cells. It is often called an antiestrogen or a SERM )

She wants to discuss my case with other medical professionals. My case is unusual so there is not a direct answer at this time. She requested additional information from my cancer surgeon to present to the board. The board at Yale is meeting this evening and she will present my case to about 8 other doctors within the breast cancer medical field. I hope to get their opinion by Friday.

She was informative and recommended some test that I will be doing soon with my Oncologist to prevent cancer in the future. I will be meeting with him probably next week.

I will update the information as soon as I know more, this is a long process but we want to get the best possible cure.

No comments: