My husband and I met with the Radiation Oncologist this week. She explained to us like all the other doctors that I am an unusual case and there is no guidelines to follow. I will have radiation treatments on my right side of the breast for 5 1/2 weeks Monday - Friday. If for some reason, I had to miss a day for snow or the kids home due to illness then the time I missed will be added to the end of my treatment. The actual radiation treatment will take about 10-15 minutes each day. It will take me longer to drive there and get ready. Once a week, I will need to stay an extra 15-20 minutes for pictures to be taken. These pictures will not be able to see inside of my body but will verify the mold is in the correct position each time and the radiation is targeting the correct area. I don't know the start date but probably will be in a few weeks. I have to get a MRI done for a base line and I am still sore to lay on my front side. A few weeks will allow my stitches to be healed completely. The MRI might not show the cancer in my margins but can help for the future when I need to verify any other markers for cancer or if I feel a lump. (We will pray that the cancer will not come back) On Monday 2/16/09, I am going back to the Radiation Oncologist to have a cat-scan of the breast so she can start to make a mold to cover the breast area during radiation. The mold will be completed during the week. This appointment will take about a hour. I will then have another appointment to come back and try on the mold to verify it fits and then I will be ready when the radiation starts. This mold will be worn during the radiation. She will let me know the two different kind of lotions that I will need to mix together and apply to the skin area at least twice a day. I will be able to drive myself back and fourth to get the radiation done. I would like to make my appointments in the morning so I have the afternoon to rest. I will make arrangements to have my daughter watched since she is home in the morning. She has afternoon kindergarten.
She explained the side effects that can happened: less energy(will need to take naps), redness, itchy, sunburn feeling, swelling of the breast, discolor of the skin temporary, peeling or dry skin . My full energy will take a few months to get back after the radiation is completed.
We haven't told the kids that I have to go through radiation. We will wait until I have a start date. We will then have to explain why I have to due this process. We want to tell them the truth but will have to be careful with the wording because we don't want them to get scared and ask if I am going to die. That was so heart breaking last time but as a young child this is what goes through their mind!!! I will have my husband do the talking so I don't start to cry.
I will start the medication after the radiation is completed.
I also saw my cancer surgeon this week. She said my stitches are healing good and everything looks well. The stitches are disposable but she did trim a few of them. I will see my plastic surgeon next week.
No comments:
Post a Comment