Saturday, February 7, 2009

New treatment

I received a call from my cancer surgeon late in the day and she spoke with the oncologist from Yale. My oncologist who I will be seeing was also included with the conversation. The outcome from Yale's board was the same as my doctors board for my treatment. I will need to have radiation five times a week for six weeks. I will go on the Tamoxifen medication after the radiation is completed for the five years.

I was happy to hear that the consensus was the same from Yale and my board of doctors because that makes the decision easy. I don't have to additional opinions or know what doctor to believe. I am starting to go in the right direction.

I would like to get this process started so I immediately called and made an appointment with the radiation oncologist for my consultation for Monday February 9. During this appointment, she will review my medical paperwork, review my surgery, and map out the area in which I will need to have the radiation treatment. She will consult with my cancer surgeon after my appointment to see when the radiation will start. It could be as early as two weeks. I will explain the process and type of radiation I will be given after I have my appointment. The side effects are usually temporary and should go away after treatment ends.
Skin irritation similar to sun burn.
Mild to moderate breast swelling.
Fatigue during the treatment-need to get plenty of rest during the treatment
A few women report mild tenderness in the breast or chest wall. This will slowly get better over time.
Scarring of a small part of the lung just under the breast. This generally does not cause side effects.
Many of these side effects can be controlled with medications.

We will all pray for me and hope for the best that my implant will not be affected by the radiation. I am going to fall under the 60% chance that my right implant (since radiation is only needed on the right side) will be great !!!

There is a 40% chance that the skin elasticity from the radiation will not support the implant. This is not common but can occur. We will wait six months after the radiation to make sure the skin has healed completely then I can get the nipples put on. This will be an out patient procedure.


My doctors would like me to have another MRI before I start my radiation to have a baseline of the margin area and to have a MRI too compare to in the future. I will have to wait over the next few weeks to see if I am to sore to have this MRI. I will have to lay on my stomach and my breast are still sore and sensitive. I am still sleeping on my back and try to sleep on my sides but have some pain still. I am not a back sleeper so I can't wait to sleep on my side all the time!!!



I did not see my cancer surgeon or plastic surgeon this week to examine my stitches so I will need to see them this week.

I will follow up with my doctor for additional questions we had for the Yale board this week. Some of the issues that we were concerned with included my findings on my genetic test (should other family members have the test performed), treatment going forward after my radiation, blood screening test, how my ovaries will be monitored and any other concerns that the doctors had suggested.

1 comment:

Kerri said...

Mon-I'm so glad that everyone was in agreement for the next steps in treatment. I know how anxious you were to get things going! We'll be sure to keep you in our prayers, but I know you'll do great! Looking forward to seeing you soon....
K