Sunday, March 8, 2009

MRI done and radiation on hold

Monday March 2, 2009 Any time I have a major appointment the weather doesn't treat me well. It snowed overnight into the morning about 7 inches and school was cancelled. My appointment was at 2:15 for my MRI. The snowed cleared up by the afternoon so I was able to change the time to 4:30. My husband came home early from work to drive me since I was going to take a Valium to help me relax. He dropped me off and took the kids shopping for about a hour. The appointment went well. They inserted the IV and I went into the machine. It took about 25 minutes in the MRI machine which was great because they said when patients have implants that it can take up to 35 minutes. The reason for this is because the machine sometimes has a hard time reading around them. I was relaxed and didn't cramped up this time! They were able to get all the pictures they needed.

Tuesday March 3, 2009 This day was hectic! My Radiation Oncologist called and said she needed to see the report from the MRI before I start my radiation for Wednesday. I called my cancer doctor and the place where I got my MRI several times to get the results as stat. I received a call at 4:30 from Radiation Oncologist and she said the MRI was okay and to show up for my appointment at 8:30 am tomorrow.

A hour can change your life. I spoke with my cancer doctor and she hasn't received my MRI results at this time. She also explained to me that she went to a seminar with my plastic surgeon to Germany the previous week. They presented my case to the doctor in which my plastic surgeon mentors from. They didn't have any of my records or films with them. They just discussed my case to see if he has ever encountered a situation like mine. He felt if I was his patient that he would perform the flap surgery. He is known internationally for his work My cancer doctor still wasn't sure if that's the right decision. She asked me not to start radiation this week and she will consult with all of my doctors to decide what is best decision. I received a call while I was on the phone that my MRI results were being fax over to her to review.

Thursday March 5, 2009 My cancer doctor called and explained that my treatment team feels that I am young and they would prefer to get one more opinion about my case. It's hard because they haven't had a patient that had a mastectomy and still have the cancer in the margin. She is going to contact a doctor she knows at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center in New York to get her opinion. She reviewed my MRI report and most of it seemed okay. My lymph nodes were a little swollen but it usually normal after surgery and I still had some fluid around my implants.

Friday March 6, 2009 I spoke with my plastic surgeon and she suggested that I see another opinion about my case. She worked and knows a breast surgeon who worked at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center in New York for 16 years. He is the Director of Brooklyn Breast Cancer Program, Maimonides Cancer Center, Brooklyn, NY at this time. She mentioned that he also knows the doctor who she spoke with in Germany. I will wait and hear back from the doctors hopefully next week. I expressed that I don't want to wait to long to decide what my next step will be in my treatment.

I will keep everybody posted as soon as I know.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Monica,
It's wonderful that you're getting so many different physicians thinking about the best options for you. Sounds like you're in good hands! We love keeping up with your progress through this blog. Thanks so much for sharing your experiences and feelings with us!
You are always in our thoughts.
Love,
Peggy King