I had a great surprise in the middle of last week. Some of the guys from the hockey team at Quinnipiac University (a private, coeducational university is about 25 minutes from our house) would come out and help at some of my son's hockey practices as well as other ages/levels in our hockey league. It was special for these kids to learn and share the ice with them. This lasted for a few months and was a great experience. My husband was friendly with one of the players from the Quinnipiac team and kept in contact with him. We would go to the University and watch their hockey games during the winter.
This gentleman had called my husband and asked if they can come by the house because his classmate and him had something for me. I was shocked because I knew him but not that well. They had a college class until 7:45 pm and my kids were thrilled to have him at our house so I let the kids stay up that night past their bed time.
When they arrived at my house they greeted me with two giant bouquet of mixed flowers. They informed me that they have chosen me as a part of their class project. The course they were taking was an Entrenepeur class and their assignment was to raise money and donate to an organization/ individual and their family which has an illness/disease. They picked me since I am going through breast cancer. This was extra special to me because the other guy never met me and went along with his friend's decision to select me. He wasn't on the hockey team, he is on the golf team. They did such a terrific job surprising me and coming up with the gifts.
As my daughter and I went into the kitchen to get vases for the flowers, they said they had to go out to the car to get some additional stuff. The flowers filled three big vases and we spread them around the house. The faces on both of my kids when they came back in was great! They bought my son a plush baseball Easter basket and my daughter a plush bunny Easter basket. Inside each basket was amazing amount of candy! They put 3-4 full bags of candy inside each basket of different chocolates, 2 packages of peeps, 2 boxes of Cadbury creme eggs, and a 2 foot chocolate bunny. They also gave Gene and I a basket full of candy. They presented us with a tray of cookies they bought as well. I told my kids that the Easter bunny didn't have to come to our house, but they didn't agree! They also gave me a lovely card and inside the card was four $100 gift cards to Stop and Shop (grocery store). That was a great idea since we do shop there and the gift cards will be used for our grocery shopping.
They had a poker night with all their friends to help raise the money. They had my website on their computer to show everybody about the fund they would be contributing too. We took a few photos so they could take them back to their teacher.
This was thoughtful gift and I was touched that I was chosen by them.
2 comments:
How wonderful, Monica! You have such good supportive people in your life. Happy Easter!
Love,
Peggy King & Family
What a wonderful surprise Monica! How nice for you and your family to have such a beautiful Easter! I'm sure you are all thrilled to have such special people in your lives...Cheryl (friend of your Mom's)
Post a Comment