I met with my Oncologist last week. Just like my other doctors my appointment was running late and we were seen 45 minutes later. I guess thats how it is when I see the best doctors!
We reviewed all my medical history and what treatment would be best for me at this time. The explanation about my cancer tests was referred as molecules/atoms related back to a science class. It was a lot of information but was also confusing.
He explained to my husband and I there will always be a concern for cancer in my body. We will pray and hope there is no recurrence but there is no guarantee for the cancer. My lymph nodes were negative but we don't know if any cells traveled outside my lymph nodes before I was tested. He believes a pet-scan will not benefit me at this time. There is a lot of false positive results which will lead me into a panic mode. If the test was positive then they would test the area which is performed by surgery and 98% of the cases are okay. The MRI did not detect the cancer in my margins before the radiation so performing another MRI would not be wise. He doesn't want to expose me to any extra radiation then I need to have. I will have several tests perform in the future and have many years ahead of me so less radiation at this time is good. He informed me if I have any part of my body that aches or feels abnormal that I need to contact him. He gave an example: if a person who doesn't have cancer might have a back ache and the doctor might advise them to perform some exercise and to check back in 6 weeks. If I have an ache and it doesn't go away in 6 days, he will request a test to verify nothing is wrong.
He asked if I would like to know the prediction about my cancer in the next ten years via a software program he uses. He had to ask because some people don't like to know the future. I would like to be prepared as much as possible so I wanted the results. This graph will be able to pre-dict in 10 years if my cancer would come back with or without using different hormone therapies. The software wasn't working while we were at the office so I received the results in the mail a few days later. The results were the following: if I did not take any medications my risk for relapse will be 13%. If I take Tamoxifen, then my risk would be 7%. This graph is based on my cancer findings which are inputted into this program for example my tumor grade, tumor size, my age and some other factors.
I had to get some blood work so he compare the levels within my body to the near future. I had the blood drawn a few days ago but I don't know the results.
I did received the results back (since I haven't post this blog). My blood count was good, test markers for breast cancer C27 & C29 both were good (nothing showed up at this time but doesn't mean it can't in the future), blood and liver salt good ( I am not sure what this test was, I will have to ask him the next time we speak), my metabolism was verified in an active form which was good (this will allow my blood to absorb the medication well), my vitamin D was low. It was 25 insufficient, 30 is normal so I will be taking a prescription for 6 months and then will be re-tested. Vitamin D has been recently found to help several functions of the body. I will be taking 2,000 mg a day, I believe an individual should have 1,000 a day. (check with your doctor male or female)
We discussed at this time I will take Tamoxifen for five years (will start next week,) and see how I feel. The side effects for the Tamoxifen will start right away. I hope I don't have to many of them! If I am have some side effects like hot flashes that I need to try to cope with them instead of opting out to take the medication. He gave me his cell phone and to call him when I have any questions.
He left it up to me if I would like to remove my ovaries and said that isn't urgent and I can decide with in 3-6 months. He feels that it is good to have a transvagial ultrasound but having this test twice a year may not be enough. Since breast cancer is strongly connected with the ovaries that I might want to consider to have them removed. Estrogen feeds the cancer so if I remove them there is a less of a chance for the cancer to return. When I decide to remove them, I will explain the change in medication at that time.
I have an appointment to see him again in September unless something changes.
Sorry so late for the updates, take care :>
No comments:
Post a Comment