I saw my plastic surgeon for my second follow since my radiation has been completed. She said there was no scar tissue build up and the breasts looked good. She took some more pictures to be able to compare the before and after. We spoke about having my next surgery to finish the reconstruction and have the nipples put on. I requested to have this surgery at the beginning of November. The surgery will be an out -patient service and will take around 1- 1 1/2 hours. The skin will be taken above my c-section line to create the nipples. I will have disposable stitches in that area. I have been asked several times how the nipples get a pinkish color so I will let everybody know. Once she forms the nipples, the blood vessels will create the nipples pink. The nipples will take up to six months to complete their shape. I will have disposable stitches around the nipple area. I will be bandage up for a week and then I will have to see my plastic surgeon to follow up.
I will need to get the standard blood work done before the surgery. I will follow the same procedures as far as any other surgeries and stop taken my medications and no Motrin/aspirin a week prior.
My kids are aware of the surgery but I haven't told them actually what is being performed. AJ asked if I still have cancer to remove and I explained that my breast has more reconstruction to be completed. I will sit down with them before the surgery and explain in detail so they aren't afraid and know what is happening. Emily has been aware of the breast cancer symbol when we go out to the stores. Since this month is Breast Cancer Awareness she points out every time she sees the BC sign. She is really involved with my walk and reviews my website with me. Gene and the kids will be joining me at the walk along with family and several friends. The walk is in two weeks and will be a wonderful experience!
No comments:
Post a Comment