Friday, November 13, 2009

Wow the unveiling!!!

This week was much better than last week! Emily returned back to school on Thursday 11/12 since there was no school on Wednesday. She was better on Tuesday with no fever but she had a bad cough so I kept her home one more day. She was upset because she loves school and wanted to go back. Most kids would love to stay home and watch TV all day! I am glad I kept her home an extra day  because her teacher wrote me an e-mail and said there was 12 kids out of her class. One of the kids had passed the swine flu around but a course it didn't start with my child!! AJ's asthma is getting better but still has a slight cough. He is still taking the Tamiflu to prevent him from the flu. We are lucky that no other family members got the swine flu from Emily! We were very careful around her, washed and cleaned everything every day.

We are dealing okay with the passing of Brittany. There has been some sad moments for instance when we get home and walk into the house there's no dog running up too you, no nose on the window looking outside when you drive up, no one sitting by us at the kitchen table and a real sad moment when I opened a sympathy card in the mail for Brittany. I thought this was sincere that we received a card from the veterinarian office where we took her since this was not the vet office we used.

Warning........ Warning....I am going to describe my unveiling in detail so if you don't want to know all the details you can stop reading here and wait for my next blog entry.

Yesterday 11/12/09 I saw my plastic surgeon for my first week follow up (8 days). She started to take off the tape and gauze on my right breast first. She wanted to start on this side because this is where the radiation was given. She explained even thou I didn't have any current damage to my implant from the raditaion that there still can be a chance that the right side nipple might seem indented than the other side in the future. This might occur because my skin elasticity isn't as strong on this side from the radiation. Let's pray this doesn't happen! She was impressed how the right side look, yes she's the doctor but she was amazed how well the nipple area already has healed and the final outcome is great! She took the tape and gauze off the left side as well. The tape didn't hurt coming off. She asked me if I would like to look into the mirror to see myself directly not just looking down. Yes, I did! She's amazing, the areola area and the nipples looked real! Both sides were perfect and was amazing. She asked if I felt like a women again? I always felt like a women and was okay looking at my breasts without nipples but now that I have nipples I do have to say I look and feel like a new women. My left side had a small amount of fresh blood when she removed the gauze. She said that was a good sign because that means the blood vessles are getting into the nipple area. She said I can wear a bra again and to cover the nipple area with a gauze just in case it bleeds or rubs. Gene was with me on this appointment and he was amazed as well as we spoke to the doctor about how she performed the surgery. There were plastic cups with the tops cut off around the nipples that helped them stay in place and not to touch the gauze. I only had to be like Madonna for a week, but my cones weren't not near as big as hers! The medical tape was at the top and the bottom of the gauze around my breasts. This tape is so sticky that I had to scrub and use rubbing alcohol to try to remove it all. I have so much that it will take some time to get it all off. It reminds me of cement glue when it dries you can roll up the glue but 10x's as sticky. There were also some pen marks from the doctor to remove as well.

The nipples are real pointy at this time. She said they will start to form their shape and become smaller and wider within the next six weeks. They are red, blue and purple from the surgery. I can see several stitches sticking out as well. The stitches are disposable but she will trim them up or remove any if needed at next weeks appointment. They looked so good that I don't have to use a medicated cream on them. I just have to apply neosporin every day to help the healing.
I am able to take a complete shower now! You don't realize how inconvenient it is when you can't get into the shower and wash your hair and your body without getting certain areas wet until you have to do it.
I just can't let the water hit my chest area directly.
She didn't remove my steri bandages above my c-section line. She wants them to stay there another week. If some of them fall off, its okay. I don't have to cover them in the shower. I asked her why my cut was across my entire c-section line? She explained and drew us a picture. To be able to create the areola into circular round shapes and also have enough skin to form the nipples she cuts the entire length of the stomach area so its even. If she only cut these shapes on one side then she said the skin would be folded and pinched like clothing and wouldn't look correct. After she took off all the skin she needed, she tucked in the remaining skin like a tiny tight tummy tuck. I still have some discomfort in this area and she said there is some bruising and a stitch can be bothering me. I am very open with my doctor especially after all I've been through and she has seen my body. I had a red spot on my pubic area when I came home from the hospital and it has gone away. She explained that during surgery they have to be careful with everything and there was antibacterial soap around that area and I was covered up so perhaps I had a small reaction. I was curious so might as well ask, you don't know otherwise.

I don't have any pain or discomfort in my nipple area. It feels dry, rough and bumpy from the stitches at this time until it heals completely. When you look at my nipple it almost seems like it can fall off but thats not the case. I know they are going to look and turn out perfect. In a few months no one would not know these weren't real nipples! I am glad I did the surgery. Its funny because when I was watching her take off the gauze I was just looking for the nipple and forgot she also had to form the areola section as well.

I will go back to my plastic surgeon next Thursday. Hope it wasn't too graphic but I like to describe what I am going through for those who follow my story,  myself (will be hard to remember in the future), and for my children. When they get older I will let them read all the details that I didn't explain to them what I was experiencing or I went through.

No comments: