Friday, December 10, 2010

part two more info regarding surgery

surgery information continued- I woke up from surgery in more pain than I thought I would be. My right side of my body was hurting. The nurse asked me if I wanted some pain medication in my IV. I said yes it was a level 9 out of 10 as far as the pain level. I remember I was very tired and I fell back asleep. Not sure how long I was asleep but I woke up still in pain so she gave me some more pain medication. I slowly came out of the anesthesia and was able to communicate to the nurse. The nurse said I looked much better now because I was pale and looked in alot of pain when I first came into the recovery room. There are two rooms for recovery. The first room allows you to sleep off your anesthesia and come back to a normal state of mind. The second room is when are transported out of the bed and into a chair to finish your recovery. She wheeled me into the second recovery room and covered me with extra blankets. At this time, she called Gene out of the waiting room to come in and be with me. She had made me some toast with butter and jelly ( that's a good combo that I forget to make at home and she had toast on top of each other which was different) and gave me some ginger ale. It tasted good since I haven't had anything to eat.

Gene said" I have been in the recovery room along time". They called him when I got out of surgery to let him know I was in the recovery room. He knew he could see me in recovery room but was waiting along time and he was never called. He called over to make sure everything was okay since it was a long time. I guess I did fall back to sleep for awhile! My doctor spoke with him and informed him the surgery went well but I did have alot of scar tissue. The surgery took about two hours.

The nurse went over all the paperwork what I can/can't do, removed the IV and was getting ready to release me to go home. I was still in pain and had filled my prescription of Perocets but it was at home so she gave me one before leaving the hospital. Gene helped me get dress since I was still in the hospital gown. When we got my sweats on and Gene notice there was a large amount of blood on my girdle belt which helps support my stomach area from surgery The nurse came over said "they will replace it with a new one" and she went and got a second nurse to help remove and get a new one on. The bleeding was from one of my incision and said it was normal. She put on some extra gauze and gave me some extra to take home. The belt needs to be real snug so that's why a 2nd nurse was asked to help. I had on a bra that the hospital gives you that is snug fitting and zips up in the front. The nurses were still there when I was getting dress and said I shouldn't lift my arms above my shoulders because of the stitches. O'no when I had the 1st surgery, I bought button down shirts to wear and this time I forgot about my arms. I had brought an older shirt but had to slip it over my head. They said I could take home the gown but I didn't want anything from the hospital associated with my surgeries or even as far as germs brought home! I always even leave the socks they give you. Both of the nurses helped me, they had me place my arms in first then stretched the shirt over my head. She had Gene go get the car and drive it up to the front. I had to go to the bathroom from all of the pressure so she put me in the wheel chair and I was able to slowly move. She wheeled me out to the car and we were heading home.

It was 2:45 pm when we got home. Wow, I thought we would be home sooner than that. I was still light headed from the anesthesia and still in alot of pain. I wanted to go right to sleep. I didn't even want to eat. Gene helped me upstairs, got me situated in our recliner chairs and I fell asleep. He even took out the phones from upstairs so I wouldn't be disturbed. My good friend offered to pick up my kids from school and take them so I can rest. That was helpful and they were excited to go play with her kids. That was great but alot of work for her since she had to go to three schools to get all of our kids.
My daughter was happy because I told her she can be picked up early since two of the schools were getting dismissed at the same time. I was only able to sleep for about an hour because I woke up having to go to the bathroom again. I tend to go pee several times a day and the pressure from the belt doesn't help!. Gene came up to see if I was okay since he heard me and asked if I wanted something to eat. I said yes, can you make me some toast like I had at the hospital? So far lucky I haven't gotten, sick maybe the extra patch did help! A few minutes later my friend called who picked up my kids. I was able to speak with each of the kids and let them know I was home and was good.(didn't tell them about my pain) They were so excited because my friend decided to take them to the movies and to the diner afterwards for dinner. I slowly took my time eating and eventually went down stairs to watch some TV and relax. We still have our glider chair and ottoman from when the kids were babies so I am sitting in that in our family room. Gene picked up dinner for the both of us. I eat alittle, the dinner wasn't cook all the way(eggplant) but was enough to eat. The kids came home and we all relaxed before bed time. I was tired, I went to bed early and took some more pain medication. I slept in the recliner chair. I didn't sleep well all night. I couldn't get comfortable, I had to go to the bathroom through-out the night and just couldn't sleep.YUK
To be continued.....its getting too long to read since I am putting all the details. Talk to everybody soon :>

No comments: