Tuesday, December 14, 2010

surgery recovery

I am back. I have been busy getting everything ready for the holidays I have neglect blogging. I know alot of you have been asking about me and I appreciate all your kindness. Thank you for all the phone calls and texts. I forgot to mention some info from my previous blog: When I was being discharged from the hospital, the nurse handed me a card which looked exactly like a credit card with all the information about my implants. It had my name, date of surgery, doctor's name, breast implant size by cc, the company name for the implants along with the serial #'s. It was interesting because I didn't get this information with my last set of implants. They also let me take home a foam roller to use while I am sitting in a chair. Instead of having your arms hang down to put pressure where it hurts, you relax yours arms on the foam to help relieve the pressure. The foam is also good to elevate your legs.
First day after surgery 12/4/10
I was tired from the previous day. I took it easy all day. My kids had no activities on this day which is unusual so it was great that they everybody was home to help me if needed. I wrote my plastic surgeon an e-mail asking her if she can call in a prescription for Valium or something similar since I was having trouble sleeping. I was still in pain mainly on my right side of my body from my armpit down the side of my ribs. I felt a little discomfort around the both breasts. Emily went out shopping with my mom for awhile so it was good for her to get out of the house. She doesn't go places by herself too much so it was good that she went.

My plastic surgeon called and authorized some Valium for me. She explained that I had alot of scar tissue and the pain should get better each day. As far as the bleeding, it was from the liposuction. She went in through my belly button and through two of my existing scars from my hysterectomy near each side of my hips. She had to put in liquid into my stomach area before extracting the fat out. This helps loosen up the fat. The bleeding is normal from this procedure. The bleeding should stop within a day. It looks like my breast are bigger than previous which I don't want. My surgeon said they are swollen and she did fill in fat at the top of each breast and on the sides near my cleavage which I didn't have before. This will make the breast look like normal breast verses people knowing I have implants. Which I am not ashamed to talk about my implants but its nice that she makes you look as normal as possible.
Gene rented some movies when he picked up my Valium and we enjoyed family time together. I did take my Percocet medication when needed. The first day I was  burping alot from all of the anesthesia in my body. Another great friend stopped by and dropped off dinner. It was great because all Gene had to do is put it in the oven.
I slept in the recliner for the 2nd night. I did take some medication to help me relax and sleep. I did sleep alittle better but still miserable. When both of your sides are hurting its so hard to sleep, at least for me on my back. I am also wearing the girdle and bra that is real tight.

I wasn't able to take a shower for 48 hours. On Sunday, I relaxed most of the day. Gene and I decided to remove the nausea patch behind my ear even thou it hasn't been 48 hours. I didn't get sick. I didn't want to take the risk to get it on my pillow and into my eyes. Remember from my previous blog that your eyes get blurry and large pupils can happened if medication touches it. He wore gloves to remove it. The patch did help me and I would use it again but lets hope no future surgeries soon.
On this day, I was able to freshen up. This would be the first time I saw my body and breasts. I took a shower in the kids bathroom since there is a shower head to take down to use for my hair. I was able to remove the gauze and left the bandages covering the incisions on for the shower. I was able to wash myself. I took it slow, I didn't want to pull out any stitches even thou they are internal. My chest area and arms where covered with orange iodine. I got most of it off. I also had sticky marks from all of the monitors they put on my body. Now its time for my hair, remember I can't lift my arms above my shoulders. Now I know why older women go to the salon to get their hair done. Gene washed my hair and that was an experience. It wasn't scrubbed like I would do. I had to do some explaining. It was funny because Emily was in her room but could hear us and was laughing saying I tell him that as well when he washes my hair. I was tired after this long process, we put the gauze back on and I went back to relax. My initial impression about my body was wow there is no black and blue marks all over my stomach. There were dark reddish  bruises by each of my  hips but that was it. I mentally prepared myself that I could look like I was beaten up but I just looked swollen with a  little bruising which was great. At this time, I can't tell the difference in my implants because of all of the swelling. The breast do look great! She is an artist with the body. Gene and AJ left for a hockey game while Emily and I played board games.

This evening I slept back in my own bed. I still couldn't sleep on my sides but It was better for me to lay down. I made sure I wore my belt because getting out of bed is a little harder than the recliner. I did get up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom but was able to move. I had several pillows under my head and around me just in case Gene moved by me.

Day 3-6. I was home alone. Gene and the kids went back to school and work. I relaxed and was able to get caught up on my tivo TV shows for the first day. My mom did stop by to help with some light work and see if I needed any other help. As most of you know, I didn't sit for long after a few days went by I didn't sit still. In my mind, I know I had too much to do for Xmas. I did get all my Xmas cards completed. I did take a ride with my mom to go get stamps and she mailed them out for me. It's hard to remember not to lift anything. I am feeling much better now and I am walking around. I know when I have done too much with my arms because I get sore so I have to sit down and relax. By the fifth day, I went to the store by myself. I went to Walmart which is a close trip. I was able to get some stuff done for Xmas and birthdays. I didn't buy anything that was heavy to lift. Its amazing how great it feels to get out of the house after you are laid up. That evening Gene took Emily to her soccer clinic. I decided not to go because its uncomfortable for me to wear the girdle while sitting in one spot for a long time. The girdle is bothering me on my sides. It seems to be getting my skin red. When I am home, I will wear it on the outside of my shirt. I also have taken it off for short periods to take a breather. I wear it under my shirt when I go out in public so now no one needs to see it. I did ended up going out with AJ to another store that evening. I had to go to a certain store for a gift. I was tired by the evening since my body hasn't been moving this much. The challenge I would say I had during these few days is that I am moving around and I don't look sick. I have to ask my family members to take the garbage out, lift heavy items, hang up items, etc and they look at me and forget I am still healing. They are helping but need to be reminded. I am a strong and independent person but I am letting them take care of what I can't but its hard because I feel I am giving orders.

I went to the doctor on Thursday for a follow up. I am going to end it here and continue what she said in another blog. Sorry for all the delay info. It wasn't that I am not feeling good just alot going on. Check back real soon. SMILE :)

No comments: