Tuesday, January 13, 2009

2nd day in hospital

Thursday January 8, 2009


I was woken up at 5:30 am for the usual routine check-up so I decided to stay awake. I activated my TV card and watch TV until I could place my breakfast order at 7:00am. I had no food restrictions so I was able to order what I wanted off the menu. I was starving because it has been 33 hours without any solid food. I ordered my food but was told it would take 45 minutes to be brought to my room.



The weather last night was another cold evening so there was a morning delay for the kids to get to school. I spoke with Gene and he mentioned that my mom and him will come to the hospital after they got AJ on the bus at 10:00am. Since Emily has afternoon kindergarten, she went over to the neighbors house for a play date before having to get onto the bus in the afternoon. My breakfast arrived and I was eager to eat my french toast but realized that it was scratching my throat while I ate it. During the surgery as a pre-caution the doctor insert a tube down my throat so I guess it was still sore. (I am glad I was not awake when they insert the tube yuk!) Luckily, I had ordered muffin, cream of wheat and several other foods so I was not starving but was a little disappointed about eating. You forget all these little things after surgery.


My pain level was still around a 5. The nurse would give me a percocet every 3-4 hours and a valium to help the muscle spasm every 6 hours. I also had an IV in my hand for an antibiotic drip and also potassium since the doctor felt it was a little low after my surgery. The day went pretty smoothly. I was able to get out of bed and freshen up and even sat in a regular chair during breakfast time. I had some visitors during the day that made my day go by pretty fast as well as receiving several phone call to see how I was feeling. Gene and my mom left mid day to go home and get the kids off the bus. Gene brought the kids back to see me at the hospital. I was happy to see the kids and they were excited to see where mommy was staying. They had a lot of questions about the room which was all curiosity in their minds. Emily was amazed to see a shower, a refrigerator, a window to look out to see where the parking garage was. AJ and Emily was amazed how my bed was able to move up and down, control the tv and even call the nurse if I needed to. We explained this was the floor and nursery where the both of them were born. They both looked at the menu in which I was able to order my food from and wanted to know what I was going to order for dinner. It was a nice family visit. My doctor gave the okay that I didn't need to be on the potassium anymore through the iv so the kids saw the nurse remove it out of my hand and thought that was something new to see as well. I still kept the needle tape on my hand so when I need to be hooked up to the antibiotic drip twice a day it was in place.


I had two more visitors in the evening and then tried to get some rest. I started to feel a lot of pain this evening. I asked for morphine since I would be in bed to rest for the evening just in case I got dizzy but the nurse said my blood pressure was a little low and the morphine would bring it down lower. So I just kept on my regular pain medications. The doctor also released that I did not have to wear the compression pump for my legs this evenings. I forgot to mentioned in the previous blog that at night I had to wear them to prevent blood clots since I was in bed and not moving. They are real loud and feel like a blood pressure machine tighten and loosing. This night was a little better for sleeping with out the loud noise and didn't get woken up as much by the doctors/nurses. I should be going home tomorrow! Friday

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Monica,
So glad you're feeling well enough to type on this blog! Thanks so much for sharing your experiences with us. We really appreciate being able to follow your progress and know how you are feeling day-to-day.
Know that your friends in Calif. are sending positive thoughts your way for pain-free days and restful nights in the weeks ahead!
Love,
Peggy King & Family