Thanks to my husband for updating and giving an extensive blog entry while I was in the hospital. I am going to give all the details. while I was in the hospital The blogging is my dairy for all the information to be documented and give complete details.
We arrived at the hospital just before 6:30am and they took me right in. I didn't even get a chance to sit down. The nurse said she is going to get me ready for surgery and then will have my husband come into the pre-op room with me after we get settled in. She gave me a gown to put on as well as socks and asked me take everything off. This gown was bulky. I felt like a was wearing a parachute. The reason why it was bulky is because its design to be hooked up for heat if needed during surgery. I believe the company was called Bare Claw who design it. Each pocket had a flap with attachments for the hose. I was hot in it because it was lined inside. She returned and asked when was my last menstrual cycle was. I forgot to look at the calendar and at this point I wasn't thinking about any more menstrual cycles. She asked me to give a urine sample because they wanted to verify I wasn't pregnant. I guess they didn't want a law suit before the procedure. As I returned, there was two individuals waiting for me from the anesthesia department. They introduced themselves and said they were shadowing the pre-op area that day. They were from Yale residents since Bridgeport hospital is associated with Yale hospital. There was a male and female and they explained they were going to insert the IV to get ready for the surgery. In my past surgeries, the IV was inserted on the top of my hand. The man who inserted the IV said he likes the vein that runs along the side of your wrist on your thumb side. He said my vein was pumped and looked good. As he inserted the IV no blood was coming out. He had to move the needle around to get the blood to take. As he moved it, I felt a sharp pain on top of my hand into my fingers. He said sorry and the needle probably hit a nerve. These two individuals were not going into the operating room. I should of known to ask for experience anesthesia since I always seem to have some issues with IV's. The pain did go away but I felt the IV was in an awkward area. Gene did arrive in the room after the IV was inserted. As we waited we had a few nurses review all my medical information and introduced them selves since they were going to be in the surgery room. The two anesthesia representatives also came in and reviewed how the medicine works and made sure we had no questions. My OBGYN came in and said they were just about ready to get started. We reviewed what was going to be happening during the surgery. I didn't realize that my cervix was also going to be removed. She said its small and attached to the uterus and since I am not having any more children that I won't miss or need it. I was having my both of my ovaries, both fallopian tubes, uterus, and cervix removed. She explained during surgery they would send down samples from each area to test for cancer. The lab would freeze the organs then test a small section to check for cancer. She also explained that the organs would be sent out to the lab for an extensive review after the surgery and would take a week to get the final results back. I guess I never thought about how they tested the organs. The fluid and flexibility wouldn't allow for correct sample so that's why they freeze the organs first. My OBGYN Oncologist stopped by and said they were ready in the operating room. I gave my husband a kiss and I was wheeled off. They inserted some sleepy medicine in my IV as I was going into the operating room. Once I got into the OR room everything was blurry and I was out in about a minute. I didn't even get a chance to see the robot.
To be continued tomorrow, time to rest and relax.
No comments:
Post a Comment