I woke up from surgery in the recovery room but was really drowsy. If you haven't had any surgeries before, its a strange feeling. Your awake one minute then fall back asleep and then process goes back and fourth for awhile until the anesthesia wears off. The nurse asked me to tell her my level of pain and I am not sure why I answered initially a 6 out of a 10. I fell back to sleep and was in a lot of pain so when I woke back up I told her my pain is now a 10. In the past Gene was able to come into the recovery room but they didn't have him there. Maybe because my other surgeries were in a different part of the hospital and this surgery was in the main operating room. All I can remember was a man next to me, couldn't see him there was a drape between us, yelling he had to go to the bathroom. The nurse kept telling him he had a catheter but apparently he didn't understand. I was so drug up that he was getting me an aggravated with the screaming. I was finally wheeled off to my room.
I was still in and out of it on the way to the room. I had a private room on the maternity ward. (which is where I stayed last time). A few minutes later I do remember my husband coming in to see me. My nurse on duty said I was already on Morphine but gave me additional pain medication in my IV. It took awhile before I felt better. I was still in pain but it was tolerable. Gene told me the good news from the doctors: "there was no signs of cancer during surgery and the internal walls inside me looked well". I sort of remember my doctors talking to me in the recovery room but couldn't tell you what they said, it was like a dream. Gene stayed with me for awhile then went down to the lobby to buy a card to activate the TV and get my backpack out of the car. (yes nothing is for free $5 for 24 hrs of TV) I felt better by the time he was back. I was on a liquid diet and for lunch they served me a bowl of chicken broth, red jello, tea, and cranberry juice. I didn't have any solid food to to eat since Sunday evening. I started a liquid diet on Monday. The food didn't even taste that well. I ate the jello and half of the chicken broth. I tried the cranberry juice but didn't care for it. I called my mom to let her know I was okay and to see if she would like to visit me in the hospital since Gene was going home to bring the kids back. Gene left around 3:00 to get the kids off the bus. He was going to pick them up along with my mom and come back to the hospital before dinner time. I couldn't get out of the bed. I was hooked up to an IV for fluid and for my pain medication. I also had a catheter which isn't the most comfortable feeling. I took a short nap while Gene left. The nurse comes into the room every 2-3 hours for my vital signs. She had good timing and came into my room before Gene and kids were back. She took my blood pressure, my oxygen, checked my incisions, checked my IV, my temperature, emptied my catheter (which they have to keep track of the amount of fluid) and checked if I was bleeding. The good news I had very little bleeding after the surgery. They had me wear a pad but I only bled like a quarter size. I believe the robotic helped for less bleeding. I couldn't wait not to wear a pad again in my life unless when I am older and have to wear depends. (lets hope not).
My mom, Gene and the kids came back to visit me. It was nice to see them. We talked and watched some TV. Both of the kids made me cards before I went into the hospital wishing me good luck. Emily made another card and brought it to me to the hospital. They were at the hospital about hour and half. Right before they were ready to leave I wasn't feeling well. I turned to Gene and said I am going to get sick and I need a bucket. I called the nurse to bring me one. My mom took the kids out of the room. I still had my tray from lunch and I had to use that because the bucket didn't arrive in time. I guess the jello didn't like me. I felt good afterwards but now they banded me to eat or drink anything for 2 hours. Gene, mom, and kids left to let me rest and they needed to go get some dinner. I kept the bucket near by but never had to use it again.
To be continued...yes long two day story being in the hospital. Blog again soon
No comments:
Post a Comment