Monday, June 14, 2010

pre-op exam/surgery

I had my pre-op exam on Thursday June 10, 2010. I had to go to the hospital for this exam. I checked in at the admitting office and that's where all the services were to be performed. She registered all my information and gave me a beeper/buzzer when my turned would be. My buzzer went off and I went into the office. As I entered the nurse told me to have a seat in the room on the right, well I thought it was a bit strange since there was another nurse in there withdrawing blood on a patient but I sat in the other chair like she told me. The nurse said she made a mistake and sent me into a different room, I knew this was a bad start. She came into the room and introduced herself and started to with drawl my blood. She took one vial of blood and I was wondering why so little since I usually take around four vials. She turned around to finish the paperwork and I said how do they know this is my blood work. She picked up the vial and said your name is right here on the sticker. Well guess what it wasn't my name! How can she mixed up my name with an Asian name? She immediately said, I always ask to verify birth dates and I am so sorry I didn't today. I was so angry! I also told her I was told that I needed an EKG and a chest x-ray  She handed me a magazine and said here read this while I go straighten out the paperwork. She returned and I was correct that four more vials were needed to be taken. She claimed that the wrong beeper number was written incorrectly on my paperwork. The Asian name that was on my vial was the person who came in after me. If they were planning to take her first, that would add more fuel to the fire. I asked her to with drawl from the other arm for the new blood. She couldn't find a good vein so she had to go back to the other arm. She did it right under the last insertion. What a winner she is! She now verified my name and date of birth. She sent in the anesthesia nurse to get my paperwork started for this department for the day of surgery. I spoke with her about ten minutes. The original nurse came back into the room and said she didn't get a chance to verify if I needed a chest x-ray and EKG since no order was placed. What was she doing all this time!!! She left to go call my doctor's office to see if I needed these test. She returned and said I was told the incorrect information that I don't need them. I had to give an urine test. I asked her why I couldn't gone to the lab by my house since all I did was some blood work and urine test. She said that one of the vials needed to be done at the hospital for the blood bank. I was just glad to get out of this office!!!

I am having my surgery less than 11 hours from now. My surgery is scheduled for 7:30 am and I have to be there at 6:30am. My mom is coming over to get the kids up for school and onto the bus. I found out this am that I couldn't eat anything for the entire day except for clear liquids. Wow I was misunderstood. I thought it was after 2:00 when I had to drink the laxative. I had some coffee which is clear liquid ate a cookie with it and started my no food day. I am been working at a deli to help out and today was my last day. I wanted to go in to keep my mind busy. As I was driving there, I realized that here I can't eat food and I am working around food. It wasn't too bad since I was only there for four hours.I drank the laxative drink. It wasn't too bad but had a strong tart taste. I am surviving the day on chicken broth, Popsicles, water, and coffee. I just want this over at this point. I will have my husband update my blog so everybody knows how the surgery went. Chat with all of you in a few days. Smile and have a wonderful week!

No comments: