Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Surgery day

Monica's surgery went really well it took about 2 1/2 hours to complete from the time they started which was around 7:45 AM. The doctors said that they did some initial tests for cancer while she was in surgery and they did not see or find any cancer. This is great news ! Now they will still have to send everything out to the lab for more extensive tests that take up to a week to find out the results but this is a really great sign and they seem to be pretty confident that she should be OK.

They did say that she did have a bit of endometriosis so overall the doctors still feel confident about their recommendation for Monica to take this aggressive approach in having a full hysterectomy.

Obviously Monica was in quite a bit a pain when I first saw her an hour and a half after the surgery was over as they were asking her on a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the highest of pain where she was and she keep telling them a 10 initially. So they had her on morphine and gave her some other strong pain killer which eventually seemed to really help and control the pain.

So by the time I left to go get the kids off the bus around 3:00 PM and bring them back to see her Monica was feeling much better but they would still not let her eat anything other than clear liquids due to the medicine. So I brought the kids and Monica's mother Kathy back for a quick visit which was nice for her and the kids to get to see each other for a bit. Right before we left Monica had some raspberry juice which unfortunately did not want to stay down for long and ended up come back up. So the nurse said she has to stay on just water or ice chips for awhile more.

The kids and I called her first thing this morning before sending them off to school and she said she was feeling a bit better and was cleared to have some food and had just ordered some breakfast. The doctors told her that she will be able to go home today sometime around noon I plan on going to pick her up.

So now the recovery process begins again which the doctors said it will be a good 2 weeks before she can really move around quite a bit, however knowing Monica just like the last time she had a major surgery she does not like to stay immobile very long. So we will take it slow and she how it goes.

So in closing as Monica's guest blogger today I would just like to say that once again I am absolutely amazed by her with both the physical and mental strength she has shown through this whole process once again. Aside from that first day of being upset about finding out that her blood count marker for Ovarian cancer had been continually rising and that she would have to have this surgery and face the possible prospect of having to fight  yet another battle against cancer she never once said why me or felt sorry for herself. She just seems to have this unbelievable steel resolve that she was not going to let this affect her life and more than she needed it to and that she was prepared to take the aggressive approach to do whatever needed to be done to win one more battle if that was the cards that fate had dealt her. She is an amazing person that I think many of us can draw some level of inspiration from. I am proud of her, love her and so glad that everything has went well with this surgery and that she appears to have finally caught a much deserved break in regards to cancer.

I know I speak for Monica as well when I say thank you all for your never ending continued support, love and friendship you have shown our family. I can not tell you all how much it really makes a difference for us.

Take care and hopefully Monica will be back blogging again shortly with a much more detailed report of her journey.


Gene
x

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the update, Gene! Please tell her we're all sending good wishes for a speedy recovery her way.